The marathon of games event is over and produced some great speedruns for many, many games. Aside from the laundry list of games being played to beaten quickly, there was a charity event attached to it. Visit their website for info on what you missed and how to donate to help prevent cancer and to further cancer detection research.
Past broadcasts can found on their Twitch channel, other highlights are belong.
I have seen this twice now and thought I would finally share it. Though the video is almost an hour, the game clock is timed at just a little over 30 minutes. While this is the fastest run of Super Metroid I know, the author says it could be better. I can remember beating games like Mega Max X in a day but, I never imagined mastering Super Metroid and beating it in such a short time. The author’s comments are below as seen on http://speeddemosarchive.com.
This is a Super Metroid any% run done single-segment. I started to challenge this time attack in around June 2006, and this movie is the one recorded on 9th August.
Before making this movie, I gained many hints from some tool-assisted speedrun movies, especially Terimakasih’s any% run and Michael Flatley’s incomplete 100% run which are available at TASVideos. From Terimakasih’s run, I got ideas of faster boss fights and less items. From MF’s run, I learned the arm pumping dash and many sensitive movements. Also, I got a lot of good information from the website “NINTENDON!”, which has a good Japanese Super Metroid community and also is famous for its good SM rom hacking. I’d like to thank BananaOyaji who is the webmaster of NINTENDON! and Sippu who is a good SM speed runner. Also, I’d like to thank catnap222 for helping with my submission and giving me some new techniques like the “Torizo quick kill” or the “Super short charge”. Moreover, I’d like to thank SDA and Radix for giving me the chance for publication like this.
Some explanations are following:
– Ceres escape can be faster, but it’s very difficult.
– At the Torizo fight, Samus made Torizo skip his first arm attack by moving in front of him just after the boss fight begins.
– Kraid fight was completely well done.
– In the Phantoon fight, I badly missed the first attack. What is worse, all of his attack patterns were the slowest ones.
– At the top room of the Wrecked Ship, I played quite badly, like missing the shine spark, and so on.
– At the huge room before Draygon, I failed the horizontal shine spark, though Samus charged at the required position.
– Mother Brain fight was one of the quickest kills. I attacked him with Charge Beam in the first half, and with Murder Beam in the latter half. Before his Hyper Beam, I took the gravity suit off instead of taking damage intentionally.
– It seemed that 31mins was impossible, so I went to the bomb room and rescueed the animals.
In detail, there are nearly 100 mistakes in this run. If I had done well in the Wrecked Ship including the Phantoon fight, I would have gotten 31min. Using save points, I would make it even faster. Anyway, this run is almost my perfect. Enjoy!